THE 1924 MAYOR’S ESTATE …
The Nielson-Graffy House
This rare original Upper East Estate is available for the first time in more than a half century. Originally built for Mayor Harvey Nielson in 1924 by architect Floyd Brewster—the protégé of George Washington Smith and the architect behind the Museum of Natural History—the nearly one-hundred-year old Mayor’s Estate is filled with Santa Barbara history.
The magnificent Colonial Revival sits on nearly a half acre in Santa Barbara’s prestigious Upper East, which has walkable streets that conveniently access fine dining, the Theatre District, and the Mission Rose Gardens. The home’s architecture is a picture-book example of Colonial Revival: a symmetrical facade with windows framed by shutters. The front door is topped with an elliptical fanlight window and flanked by sidelight windows while four slender columns support a prominent entry porch.
The interior hosts five bedrooms with cedar-lined closets, three full baths upstairs, a downstairs powder room, plus an impressive foyer and main staircase, enormous living room with fireplace, formal dining room, sunny breakfast room solarium, butler’s pantry, library with fireplace, and versatile hobby porch or ”Zoom room.”
Many of the original features and details have been remarkably preserved in excellent condition: coved ceilings, rolled glass windows, brass fixtures, original chandeliers and wall sconces, glass and brass door handles, brass wall sconces, pocket French doors, and the hardwood floors feature the rare fine-grained white and red oak found exclusively in Upper East estates built in the early twentieth century.
The backyard is accented by a beautiful rose garden with a variety of species including long stem, floribunda, and fragrant roses. The fruit trees include, fig, lemon, navel orange, and juice orange. The detached two-car garage contains a spacious workshop area and workbench, and the backyard offers plenty of room for a possible pool/cabana or guest house.
Do not miss this opportunity to own a property of such rich architectural heritage in one of Santa Barbara’s most elite enclaves and historic streets.